Brace yourself…this recipe for Amazing Chicken Pot Pie is almost too good to mention. But I will. This is comfort food at its all-time best. If you can, go with homemade chicken stock, and, of course, homemade pie crust…and you won’t believe what you’ve got on your hands. This is without doubt, an all-time favorite of both The Loon and me. Amazing Chicken Pot Pie!! %150 Loon Approved!
- 4 whole chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on
- ¼ cup of good olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 5 cups of homemade chicken stock, or homemade turkey stock
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 12 tablespoons of (1½ sticks) of unsalted butter
- 8 oz. (about 1 & ½ cups) chopped mushrooms (shiitake are nice)
- 2 cups of yellow onions, chopped
- ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 2 cups of carrots, ¼” slices, – blanched in boiling water for a couple minutes
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- ½ cup of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Perfect pie crust
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water (for egg wash)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and rub with oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 65 minutes (internal temp should be 165 F) – set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Remove meat from bones and discard the skin – cut the chicken into large bites.
- Heat the stock in a medium pan. Dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat and add the onions and mushrooms, cook until translucent – about 15 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook over low heat, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the hot stock to the sauce, simmer for another minute or somewhat until thickened.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt, ½ teaspoon of black pepper, and heavy cream.
- Add the cubed chicken, carrots, peas, and parsley. Mix well.
- Taste and add more salt, if needed. Pour filling into 4 oven-proof bowls.
- Brush egg wash around the top edges of the bowls.
- Cut the dough so it fits over the top of each bowl, with about a half inch lip around the sides. (if desired, cut additional decorative leaf-like shapes to add on top of the pot pies)
You can find complete recipes of this AMAZING CHICKEN POT PIE in howtofeedaloon.com